Gift cards are the new black when it comes to gift giving in the 21st century, and they are a sure-fire winner in our industry. The National Retail Federation, reports that 62% of consumers would choose gift card over pretty much anything as a gift, and that most will spend more than the face value of the gift card when they redeem it with you.
A First Data study found that in 2016, 75% of consumers spent $27.74 more than the amount on the gift card when they spent it, and also that 85 percent of gift cards are redeemed in the first 60 days after they’re received. It’s a complete no-brainer, that selling the gift cards and promoting them as a perfect Christmas gift will get you new clients and help to boost your beauty, spa or massage center income over the first few months of the new year.
So that’s the facts and figures out of the way, how can you make YOUR gift cards so appealing that there really is no other choice for your clients this season?
- Grab people’s attention when they visit – offer striking, attractive displays, and display your gorgeous gift cards on your front desk so that people can’t miss them. Make the displays pop with seasonal glitter and style that appeals to your client base. Why not get creative and add them to your seasonal window displays too?
- Make this season’s gift card offer exceptionally good value for money by adding a little extra to the deal. One way to do this is adding value for the person buying the card as well as the recipient, so you could think about adding samples of products, or a small candle or soap. You could even offer a discount – regular clients could purchase a $100 gift card for $80. People LOVE to think they are getting a bargain.
- If your massage or spa business is in a community area, add value and create a gift card co-op, event or cross promotion with other local businesses which helps to promote shopping in your community as well as showcasing your business to people who might not be aware of it.
- Make your actual gift card designs attractive – go for bold and personal and add a seasonal interpretation of your logo. Get a selection of gift card designs professionally printed and designed (there are many low-cost options for this online). Make an effort to appeal to your target customers. Download FREE Gift Certificate templates here.
- Create discounts and promo codes for your website and online sales that give extra value. Perhaps offer gift cards at a discounted price for Black Friday or add an extra service to eCards bought on a certain day. Get creative, research what people want and what they buy, and use the sales data you’ve built up over the year to offer clients a special treat that feels like a special gift and not just another massage or facial treatment.